May 21, 2021
DIY with Best Fiends: Launching Lacey
Jump for joy because a new episode of DIY with Best Fiends is here! In this episode, Zack shows us how to make a Launching Lacey! That’s right, SHE FLIES! Watch this episode now and get ready to get creative!
Launching Lacey Instructions:
List of supplies
- Green plastic spoon
- Large paper clips
- Rubber bands
- Construction paper (Light blue and green)
- Googly eyes
- Clear packing tape
- Green marker
- Needle nose pliers
- Hot glue gun
- Greeting card
- Lacey wing pattern (HERE)
- First, let’s make Lacey’s lower wings. Cut out the pattern, available in the description below, and trace the shapes onto your construction paper.
- Next, cut out the two large half-heart shaped pieces for Lacey’s lower wings and then the two smaller pieces for Lacey’s upper wings. When you have those cut, fill in the gaps with your clear packing tape. You can set those wings aside until later.
- Next, cut an inch off of the end of your plastic spoon, like this.
- With your needle nose pliers, bend a large paperclip into a u-shaped hook and trim the excess.
- Grab your spoon and hot glue the paperclip on the base where it meets the spoon’s cup. As always, be extra careful with the heat from your hot glue gun!
- With a second paper clip, use your pliers to bend a small loop into the middle. Shape it so that it sticks out like a basketball hoop with two long legs supporting it on either side. Glue it to the top of the spoon between the grooves where you cut the spoon.
- Bend a third paperclip into a “V” with its center point squeezed together.
- Glue the large construction paper wings to the base of the spoon and the small wings to the ends of the paperclip “V”.
- Loop your rubber band through the center point notch on the paperclip V, pull it through the loop on the second paperclip and connect it at the hook. I’m using a wider rubber band so I have more to wind to get a more powerful launch!
- It’s time to decorate! Cut Lacey’s head out of your green construction paper. Using your green marker, color in all of the details for Lacey’s face and thorax on the spoon. Lastly, glue the googly eyes to complete her iconic look.
- To ready for launch, wind it up by turning the paperclip V and twisting the rubber band. Hide it in a greeting card or a box to startle and delight friends. And you’re done!