November 5, 2021
Best Fiends Bites: Nog Risotto Balls
The holidays are coming and we’ve got just the recipe for you! Watch this episode of Best Fiends Bites to learn how to make these adorable and tasty Nog Risotto Balls! Your guests will be glad you did! Recipe below!
Nog Risotto Balls Instructions:
2 tbsp olive oil
4 oz yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup carnaroli rice
5 cups hot water
1 1⁄2 tbsp butter, cubed
1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
1⁄4 cup peas
Zest of half a lemon
2 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into 9 half-inch cubes
1 cup flour
1 beaten egg
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 cup additional olive oil (for frying)
Toasted sesame seeds
Black sesame paste
1. In a pan over medium heat, combine 2 tbsp of olive oil and yellow onion. Stir occasionally, until the onions are tender.
2. Add the carnaroli rice. Stir constantly for 5 minutes.
3. After 5 minutes, add just enough hot water to cover the rice. Stir constantly to keep a consistent boil.
4. Repeat that process until you have used all of the hot water, and the risotto is cooked.
5. Stay on the burner with low heat. Add the butter, parmigiano reggiano cheese, peas, and lemon zest. Stir until well incorporated.
6. Place parchment paper over a cutting board or other flat surface. Spread the risotto evenly over the parchment paper. Let cool at room temperature.
7. Once cooled, form nine 2-inch balls from the risotto. Make a small hole in the center of each ball.
8. Cut the mozzarella into 9 half-inch cubes.
9. Place one cube inside each ball, and cover.
10. Coat the risotto balls evenly with flour.
11. Then coat the risotto balls evenly with beaten egg.
12. Then coat the risotto balls evenly with panko breadcrumbs.
13. In a pan over medium heat, pan-fry the risotto balls in 1 additional cup of olive oil, until golden.
14. Place the cooked risotto balls on a paper towel.
15. Use mozzarella pearls to create Nog’s eyes.
16. Cut out the shape of Nog’s nose from the roasted carrot, then place on the risotto balls, underneath the mozzarella pearls.
17. Use toasted sesame seeds to create Nog’s neck hair.
18. Use black sesame paste to draw Nog’s pupils, eyelashes, and legs.