June 18, 2021
Best Fiends Bites: Dougie Watermelon Bomb
Do you love a nice slice of watermelon on a hot summer day? If the answer is yes, then we have a special treat for you! Your new favorite summer dessert has arrived in this episode of Best Fiends Bites! Juicy watermelon meets fluffy meringue dressed up as Dougie! This adorable dessert is almost too cute to eat… almost! Watch now and grab a napkin – you’ll be drooling!
Dougie Watermelon Bomb Instructions:
3 large eggs
1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
Light green food coloring
Dark green food coloring
4 additional large eggs
1 1⁄2 cups additional granulated sugar
1 cup watermelon juice
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature, cut in cubes
Light green fondant
1. Preheat the oven to 200°F
2. In a large bowl, separate 3 egg whites from the yolks.
3. Slowly add 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar to the egg whites, and whisk until stiff peaks form, creating a meringue.
4. Add the powdered sugar and light green food coloring, and mix until well combined. Then set aside.
5. Bring in a piping bag, and paint stripes of dark green food coloring inside the bag.
6. Fill the piping bag with the light green meringue, and pipe the meringue around the back of a silicone mold.
7. Bake the meringues for 40-45 minutes, or until the shells are firm to the touch.
8. Remove the meringue shells from the oven and set them aside until cool.
9. In a medium pot over medium-low heat combine 4 large eggs with 1 1⁄2 cups of granulated sugar and watermelon juice. Whisk until combined, then remove from heat.
10. Stir in 1 cup unsalted butter, until smooth.
11. Place the watermelon mixture in the fridge and let cool for 4 hours.
12. Bring back the meringue shells and remove them from the mold.
13. Pour 2 tbsp of watermelon filling into each meringue shell.
14. Use black fondant to create Dougie’s nose and mouth.
15. Use white fondant to create Dougie’s eyes and teeth.
16. Use light green fondant to create Dougie’s pupils.
17. Use red fondant to create Dougie’s tongue.