July 26, 2018
5 Questions With…Reel FX Director Augusto Schillaci
With the launch of the third Best Fiends animation, "Fort of Hard Knocks," we wanted to highlight a few of the very important people that helped bring our story to life! So without further ado, our series of "5 Questions With..." continues with the Reel FX Creative Studios Director, Augusto Schillaci.
5 Questions with Augusto Schillaci
1. Describe your role and how you work with Seriously. What is your favorite part about your job?
I am the Director of the Best Fiends shorts and I work really closely with Seriously’s creators and producers. My favorite part of the job is seeing how the project progressed from the game to the words in the script to the final colors and animation.
2. What has been one of your favorite projects to work on and why?
All projects are very important to me! I had so much fun directing the Best Fiends shorts. Both teams at Seriously and Reel FX were amazing and super collaborative.
3. Have you always directed animations? Is it different working with animation than live action?
Before directing animation, I was a Senior VFX Supervisor for live action projects and animation. Live action and cartoon animation have different challenges. In live action, most of the time, the look and characters have to match the real film, but in cartoon animation you have complete freedom to choose your own style.
4. Does working with short-form content impact storytelling at all?
No, I don’t think so. I personally love short-form storytelling since it forces you to focus in on the essence of the story and minimize the unnecessary exposition.
5. How did you become interested in animation? And how do you see the animation industry evolving?
I fell in love with Chuck Jones-style animation when I was a kid. In my twenty-five years of working with animation, the industry has evolved and it will continue to do so. That is why I focus on storytelling, because no matter the medium (film, TV, mobile games, etc), you still need to tell a good story.